There’s lots to learn about being LakeSmart, and you can pick up a great deal on your own!
We’ve brought together as many resources on this page to help you in your endeavor.
- PWD has an illustrated series with instructions for most LakeSmart BMPs and Plants, which covers:
- Best Management Practices, otherwise known as ‘The BMPs’: Construction BMPs; Dripline Trench; Dry Wells; Erosion Control Mix; Infiltration Steps; Infiltration Trench; Lake Shoreline Riprap; Live Staking; Open Top Culvert; Paths and Walkways; Permitting; Pervious Pathway; Planting and Maintaining Buffers; Rain Barrels; Rain Garden; Rubber Razors; Turnouts; Waterbar.
- Descriptions of native plants for varying conditions and locations: Shade & Wet; Part Sun & Dry; Sun & Wet; Shade & Dry; Part Sun & Wet; and Sun & Dry.
- “Lakes Like Less Lawn” – Environmental Landscaping for Water Quality published by the Portland Water District.
- Certified contractors in your area. All earth moving activity within 250 feet from the high water line of great ponds must be done by a DEP certified contractor. It’s the law and it applies to all great ponds starting January 2013!
- Maine Yardscaping – Get help choosing the right plant for the right place and grass seed sources.