maine LAKEs JOBS
Thank you for your interest in working on behalf of Maine's lakes. All jobs formerly listed have been filled for the 2022 summer season. Maine Lakes is currently seeking candidate for its LakeSmart Coordinator position. Please see below for more information and how to apply.
LAKESMART COORDINATOR (part-time, year-round)
REPORTS TO: LakeSmart Manager
SUMMARY: LakeSmart is the flagship program of Maine Lakes that works with lake associations across the state to engage lakefront homeowners in reducing erosion and pollution and protecting lake water quality. The LakeSmart Coordinator works with the LakeSmart Manager to support and help grow the LakeSmart program This is a part-time position at 16-20 hours/week year round.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support relationships, manage communications, and provide technical assistance to active lake associations and a network of “Hub” partners that oversee regional LakeSmart programs. Help recruit and guide lake associations interested in starting new LakeSmart programs.
- Support a volunteer network that includes new and experienced volunteers. Maintain regular communications with volunteers to provide technical or other assistance using Constant Contact, emails, phone conversations, and site visits. Ensure lake associations have necessary LakeSmart program supplies and troubleshoot with volunteers who are entering data into the Survey123 database.
- Help develop and present volunteer trainings, including virtual and in-person sessions for new and returning evaluators across the state. Present other workshops as needed.
- Assist with LakeSmart communications, including new print materials, web page content, social media posts, tabling and presentations at events for lake association members and conferences.
- Help grow the LakeSmart program by working with other Maine Lakes staff, a LakeSmart advisory group, partner organizations, and experienced LakeSmart volunteers to develop new program ideas, identify new sources of outside funding, and new ways to reach additional lake associations, new volunteers, and lakefront homeowners.
Knowledge and Skill Qualifications:
- Experience supporting large programs driven by volunteers;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines;
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills;
- Competence with word processing, spreadsheet and database software, including ArcGIS online, and some familiarity with Microsoft Teams, Zoom and Slack helpful.
- Strong commitment to lake protection and a passion for working with volunteers;
- Bachelors degree in natural sciences preferred (but not required) with some knowledge of lake science;
- Ability to travel independently statewide from southern Maine to northern and downeast Maine, requiring occasional overnights dependingon where Coordinator lives (mileage reimbursed).
Office space is available in Yarmouth, ME. Remote work in a home office (especially in northern or downeast Maine) or a hybrid schedule of in-office/remote time is possible. Weekend work and some evenings may be required, more so in spring and early summer.
Pay for this position is $18-$20/hour. Benefits include a matching retirement plan, generous holiday/sick/vacation plan, and a contribution toward a health savings plan for qualifying high deductible health plans. Maine Lakes is unable to find an affordable employee health insurance plan at this time, but is working toward that benefit in the future.
How to Apply:
Email a combined pdf with a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “LakeSmart Coordinator” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis